Murakoze, Rwanda!
from Matthew!
This course, aptly titled "stories of the land", provided a unique and meaningful experience for the whole group. From the beginning of this trip the focus was clearly academic, something that allowed my classmates and me to have a more meaningful experience. The group focused on being open to a different view of Africa than the one we had been presented with in our experience with western media. Through our experiences we were able to connect with and form our own, overwhelmingly positive, views of the "bright continent". The trip also served to change our opinions about controversial issues such as the choice by Rwandan President Paul Kagame to run for a 3rd term. Our on the ground experience also allowed us to meet "real people" and hear their stories. Last night we discussed our threads of the trip , a trend or common theme which we wished to further explore, and I was impressed by the insightfulness and variety of the threads. By seeing the different focuses whether community based, economic, architectural, environmental, or a focus on international relations the variety proved that each group member ,despite going on the same trip, got vastly different things out of it. This trip was also a chance for everyone to get a different set of experiences from those we are traditionally presented with.
Personally this trip allowed me to most importantly form my own opinions of the places we had visited. Despite having been taught about both countries I visited previously nothing compares to being there yourself. The trip also allowed me to connect and interact with people who I would not have had the opportunity to in a school environment and form meaningful and hopefully lasting friendships and connections. It took me a while to connect with the group but once I did I found I was able to have more meaningful and fun experiences. This trip also gave me a chance to examine the role of the west in Africa and what my role as a western visitor and a muzungu was and should be. This trip has provided a lens through which I can now look at Africa in a completely different manner. Finally I would like to thank my parents for sending me here and giving me the opportunity to experience Africa and to thank our trip leaders who made everything possible and helped guide me on a journey of personal growth.
Below is our closing expression of gratitude to the people of Rwanda and the next steps we will take when we return home to stay loyal and true to our experience of this complex, beautiful continent:
Clara: honor responsibility to bring our unique experiences back to US--to not be passive learners but make sure we use well what we have learned
Jassiem: educate everyone around me about how stereotypes of Africa are wrong…entice people to come for themselves
Wrayzene: tell and write stories to show and express what I have learned
Matthew: share this new perspective and lens through which to see the world; this has been invaluable and I will take with me for rest of life
Andrew: travel brings competence so my next step is to use my experience to encourage people to travel & spread understanding
Rama: strength and reconciliation—I found that to be very powerful here, and I want to try to incorporate into my every day life. I also want to build myself up with and through my community.
Savita: I hope to capture my curiosity and build a foundation to become wiser consumer of politics, media, and even academia.
Alex: continue what I see as my 30-year commitment to Africa and the kind of understanding it provides
Chiara: be a better member of my community in ways that reflect the hospitality and warmth of Rwanda, which impacted me so much
Will: share the feeling that no matter what someone looks like, it is important to be friendly and welcoming
Eden: make art and tell the stories of this place
Griffin: incorporate perspectives from TNZ and Rwanda to help myself and others see our own lives differently
Jack: challenge people when they say things based on what they think (even though it is not actually true)
Emmett: continue to explore and learn about contextual democracy as well as continue to challenge western points of view
Philson: I worry I will lose what I loved most about this place, so I will try to hold onto it
Mikala: continue to be a partner and educate myself
somehow "All I want for Christmas" became one of the bus songs, along with Sunday Candy, Location, and whatever else Griff felt like (thanks, MC Jazzy-G Clinton)
speak of the DJ
time lapse vid, driving out of Kigali


Comments
Post a Comment